Friday, February 03, 2006

apologies and hypocrisy

Sorry - no blogs for a while, Government of Wales legislation and impending arrival of baby no.2 have eaten into my time.

I cannot resist the temptation to comment on the current rows about free speech viz a viz the cartoons which have offended the Muslim World.

Having now found them online I suggest that they are not in the least bit amusing and certain to cause offense - rather like "Jerry Springer the Opera."

Government Minister Jack Straw has praised the British media for not reproducing the cartoons but where was he when Christianity was being mocked?

Anti-Christian bias runs through many Government Departments. The Home Office spent £15,000 celebrating Eid and Divali and not a penny celebrating Christmas, meanwhile officials from the Department of Transport abandoned their desks to mark Chinese New Year and to go to an Asian Mela but Christmas was ignored.

3 Comments:

Blogger David Hadley said...

Lucky I'm not one of your constituents. The above entry would have cost you my vote.
As far as I'm concerned freedom of speech is fundemental to democracy, and democracy is meaningless without it. And for that freedom to have any meaning it MUST include the freedom for people to say things other people - or even I - would rather not hear.
Personally I am disgusted by what jack Staw said and think he should publically appologise.

2:42 AM  
Blogger David Davies AM said...

Well I would agree with you providing that people are not deliberately inciting violence.

The cartoons were offensive but did not incite violence and therefore should not be proscribed by government, the protestors who called for Europeans to be executed should have been arrested.

4:19 AM  
Blogger Miramar Mike said...

I was about to agree with your point about Christmas not being "celebrated" but I suspect it is BIIIIG time. Whilst there's no "money spent" on it I bet ($20/max) that most civil servants had a grand old time ove the time off (paid holiday).

Perceptions maybe - how will Easter be, long weekend, full pay?

5:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home