Thursday, July 07, 2005

An attack on democracy

Yesterday saw Parliamentary politics at its childish worst with insults flying backwards and forwards across from all sides of the Chamber as John Prescott stood in for the Prime Minister at the weekly question time session.

By contrast in the wake of the horrifying events which are unfolding around us in London as I write, today saw an example of British democracy at its best.

At an emergency statement Charles Clarke, David Davis, Menzies Campbell, and Elfyn Llwyd spoke as one in praise of the emergency services the need to remain calm and the importance of ensuring that this attack is not used by anyone as an excuse to undermine the democratic system.

7 Comments:

Blogger Glyn Wintle said...

Please dont let them use this attack as an excuse to bring in ID cards.

7:24 PM  
Blogger David Davies AM said...

Thank you for those comments which were very well put. I hope we would all agree.

I haven't seen what Galloway said is there a link somewhere?

9:46 AM  
Blogger Klatchian said...

Quite honestly I'm not surprised. However, I am inclined to question whether this attack would have happened or not if we had not been in Iraq.

On another note, How could ID cards have possibly stopped sleeper cells? This is a clear example of how they are flawed.

7:15 PM  
Blogger David Davies AM said...

I do not see how ID cards could have made any difference at all.

3:11 AM  
Blogger Glyn Wintle said...

I do not see how ID cards could have made any difference at all.

I agree fully but I bet the argument will be used and even more annoyingly I bet it will sway some MPs. Is there any thing you recomend people to do that may help prevent ID cards?

1:03 PM  
Blogger Cai Larsen said...

Three months ago, local doctors in Fallujah, Iraq, reported that more than 800 civilians had been killed in a concerted American and British military assault on the city.

That estimate is now thought to have been too high and the reported civilian death toll is put at something over 600.

Half of the dead are reported to have been children.

I'm sure that you'll join me in condeming that as well.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Glyn Wintle said...

In danger of veering violently off topic menaiblog.

But to pick up on your figures, the figure of 600 comes from the director of Falluja's general hospital. He did not say they where all civilian, and given that the marines where involved in heavy fighting it would be surprising if they did not kill a large number of armed fighters.

I do know Human Rights Watch undertook a investigation of the allegations, but I don't know of them reporting any findings yet.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home