Sunday, June 19, 2005

Anyone remember "Top Cat"?

The week before last presented an opportunity to ask a question to the Prime Minister during the weekly question time session. Firing off questions at Mr Blair in a packed House of Commons is a potentially nerve racking experience so I made sure I had rehearsed what I was going to say.

Unfortunately I had not bargained for the effect that my initials would have on the government benches as the speaker called "Mr David T. C. Davies". As I rose to my feet several hundred people opposite started singing the theme tune from the cartoon series "Top Cat." Peter Hain then performed a solo version the following week.

The kindly staff at Hansard had advised me to use the initials to differentiate myself from David Davis MP Shadow Home Secretary and Tory leadership contender. This seemed reasonable at the time. However if the Labour back benchers don't get bored of the joke soon we are going to have to think of something else.

2 Comments:

Blogger Miramar Mike said...

Ha ha ha - like it. At least it's not all ballot paper waving and, "hear, Hear, Hear"

9:17 PM  
Blogger Anthropax said...

Will you be at the 'Make Poverty History' thing on Sat the 2nd? 12.00 - 1.00 in the square.
Be there or be square!

At least you know you're making an impact... Top Cat... tee hee hee

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home