Thursday, June 30, 2005

Time to remove Assembly powers?

The Government are in the process of giving extra powers to the Welsh Assembly at present. Given the dreadful lack of competence in the areas in which the Assembly has got powers this is something I will be opposing.

With the latest figures showing yet another rise in hospital waiting lists I feel the time has come to seriously consider removing health as an area of responsibility from the Assembly. I have applied for an adjournment debate on this subject in Parliament but would welcome some online comment from bloggers.

PS apologies for the sporadic posts but for some reason I have not been able to log on from Parliament and I was visiting the in-laws in Hungary over the weekend.

4 Comments:

Blogger David said...

.
David,

I agree - the parish councillors at the Assembly don't seem to be able to manage it. It's frightening to watch.

2:59 AM  
Blogger Cai Larsen said...

Since you insist on blaming the Assembly in its entirety for problems with the health service in Wales (as opposed to the Labour government) I assume that you as a member of that Assembly, are willing to shoulder some of that responsibility.

8:02 AM  
Blogger David Davies AM said...

By that you mean would I be willing to see all members of the Assembly lose responsibility for running health care in Wales?

The answer is "yes."

11:59 AM  
Blogger Cai Larsen said...

Nah, what I mean is that if you see failings at Westminster you (rightly) blame New Labour the Vote Rigging Party as opposed to Westminster itself.

If you find failings in the Assembly you find fault with the institution - not the administration that runs it.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home